Arrangements on the day
When are the activities available?
Groups can book a visit with us at any time throughout the year, Monday to Friday and on some evenings and weekends. Some activities are best done in a certain season.
Who runs the activities?
A Trust Ranger or Rangers will lead the activities, who are all fully trained in leading the activities at their site and have extensive experience of leading fieldwork activities with young people.
How is an activity run?
- The Ranger/s will meet the group, introduce themselves and give a safety talk.
- The Ranger will find out if any participant has a medical condition and which member of the visiting staff is the designated First Aider.
- They will lead the group to the activity location, give clear instructions and be fully involved throughout the activity.
- All equipment will be provided although sometimes it is useful for school groups to have pencils and notebooks or clipboards.
- Visiting teachers, group leaders and helpers are expected to become actively involved in the activities, to help with supervision and to support the Ranger re: discipline.
What should they wear?
- Comfortable clothes suitable for outdoor activities (including long trousers and a waterproof jacket) and sensible footwear, comfortable for walking in (not sandals or heels). We have a stock of waterproofs at Cockington and at Occombe.
- Wellington boots can be useful in Spring, Autumn and Winter, if rain is forecast, on rocky shore trips and on geographical river study trips - check with your Ranger once you have agreed on the itinerary. Please make sure children bring wellies or similar when visiting Occombe Farm and have a change of shoes as well.
- At the Seashore Centre it is important to wear sensible shoes on the rocks, not open-toed sandals and a change of socks and shoes is desirable.
- It is also the responsibility of the group leader to ensure that children wear sun-block.
What happens if it rains?
We get wet! We carry on with the activity but may shorten it a little and move to a more sheltered location. We have indoor facilities at 3 of our sites for lunch in wet weather.
We will only cancel an activity in extreme weather conditions if we consider there to be a safety risk. There will be no charge under these circumstances. However, if you decide not to come on the day and fail to inform us until after the arrival time you may be charged.